Monday, February 14, 2011

Me + Food = Heaven






Hello fellow college students! 


I thought I would like to introduce myself a little.  My name is Ran, yes Ran, like I ran to the store. 


 I am an Occupational therapy major, BUT I'm here mainly to talk about food.  I LOVE food!  I actually live for food.  Being in love with food gives you three amazing benefits so let me tell you why.


 1. It is essential to survival.
 2. When food tastes good you cant think of anything else (especially stress, and no I do not eat my stresses away).  
3. Food never talks back to you! There is not a person on this world that can say I do not like food, that'd be an oxymoron and that's just not possible. 



Being a foodie involves some cooking, but not always. Cooking is a hobby, but eating food that other people make for you is better! Spending all your time cooking, chopping ingredients, spices flying though the air, and the sweet aroma poof in your face is never-ending fun. Yet, imagine the great food without all the work! I would have to say the majority of college students would agree. 


We do not have the luxury to always be on track of what type of food we eat, if it is healthy or not, or even have the time to cook fancy dinners. College students = busy, busy, busy. That is why I think knowing where to get the most affordable but delicious meals is key as a college student. 


We need to think smart, shop smart, eat smart and spend smart as we go through our college lives and maybe even further. 

Food has always been part of my life and culture. Growing up my parents told me stories about their childhood and the hardships of the Korean War. The war changed everyone's lives and poverty increased everywhere. There would be days gone by without anyone eating food. My dad moved out at 10 years old and started living with his aunt and uncle because he was able to eat ramen, a noodle soup. My mother's side of the family would sometimes cook in one large bowl and her family of eight would all share. This is why stories such as this remind me everyday that not everyone has the luxury to eat everyday. 


So every time I take a bite into a juicy meaty cheeseburger with grilled onions and extra jalapenos, its special. 

To share my love of tasty-mouth-watering-food-that-you-crave with you, I'm going food hunting to the best restaurants there are in Southern California. Where the bill is decent but you leave very happy and full. 

Written by: Ran Chu

No comments:

Post a Comment